These days, all you hear about in the health world is how delicious green smoothies are and how good they are for you. Ok, awesome. But how do you make one? What may be a seemingly simple task can intimidate those who have never tried them before. Never fear! Follow these steps and begin your brand new creative health venture!
It’s best to use a high power blender for these drinks. Oftentimes, conventional blenders simply don’t have the strength to get through everything inside. I personally use a Nutribullet (best purchase ever! You can find them at the Nutribullet site, Amazon, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc.). Vitamix is another popular blender, as well.
HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SMOOTHIE
Your smoothie equation should be approximately this:
1/2 greens + 1/2 fruits + liquid + superfoods
Your “1/2″ amounts should be roughly 1-2 cups a piece, and you can absolutely put more/less fruits or veggies, depending on what you’re craving. This is simply a baseline from which to start.
Chard (Swiss or Rainbow are both stocked full with nutrients)
Top off or compliment with: celery, mint, arugala, cilantro
Experiment with different fruits. More fruit will result in a sweeter smoothie!
Non-dairy milks: soy, almond, or coconut
Green Tea (iced)
One of my favorite milks is Silk’s Non-GMO Dark Chocolate Almond Milk. Mmm!
Also try: raw cacao powder, pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds
Some suggestions for your green smoothie:
- Get creative! I love adding a scoop of chunky peanut butter to my green smoothies with chocolate almond milk, or vanilla whey protein powder to my green smoothies with vanilla almond or coconut milk.
- Sneak some extra green in there: a scoop of spirulina is oftentimes hardly noticeable. Get those bonus nutrients!
- Bananas and avocados make a smoothie extra creamy.
- Want more of a milkshake than a smoothie? Throw in some extra ice cubes.
- Freeze those banana! They thicken (and cool!) a smoothie.
- Compact your greens after you put them into your blender to fit even more.
- Make smoothies fresh for the best flavor and optimal nourishment.
- Come up with smoothie concoctions that appeal to YOU! The last thing you want is to force yourself to chug down a glass of ugly goop.
MY FAVORITE RECIPES
- 1/2 spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, vanilla almond milk, chia seeds, flax seeds (the recommendation is 1 tablespoon of each, but I love them so much that I just end up free-pouring), handful of ice cubes
- 1/2 spinach & kale, 1 frozen banana, chocolate almond milk, chia seeds, flax seeds, 1 teaspoon spirulina, raw cacao powder, handful of ice cubes
- 1/2 spinach or mixed greens, frozen fruit (mango & pineapple, strawberries & bananas, or mixed berries), green tea, chia seeds, flax seeds
After your first nutrient-pumped green smoothie, you’ll feel brighter, healthier, more alert, more energetic, positive, and satisfied (not to mention you will sleep so well). Turn green smoothies into a regular habit, and watch your health evolve!